RE: Arcam - Going for a song?

The AVR350 does sound much better than most AVRs when playing music.
It doe=
have a few shortcomings when compared to the current specifications on
current AVRs though =96 it has a built-in 2 input HDMI switch but will not
upconvert analogue video to HDMI so you need to wire both analogue and
digital video connections to your screen if you have a mix of sources. It
does not have on-board decoding for HD audio either although it does have
analogue multi-channel inputs =96 again not a problem if you have a BR
play=
er
with decoding and multi-channel analogue output. Not tested a unit to see
i=
it can accept LPCM over HDMI. Bit of a pain if you have more than one HD
audio source I suppose.

=20

The AVR600 is the first of their new models to launch although with an SRP
over =A32k it is not really the replacement for the AVR350. It may even be
that Arcam are simply deciding to let the Japanese brands take the lower
priced market as there is little way to compete on price and keep the
quality that Arcam is renowned for. The 600 does all of the usual onboard
H=
decoding, video conversion etc that is expected of current AVRs.

=20

So if you want great sound and can live without the onboard HD audio and
video conversion then the 350 is a bargain! Likewise the 280 for another
fe=
hundred less.

=20

Neil B.