Re: Low Power Switch

I have an old (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/27646,
purchased 2002) Belkin
10/100 8-port unmanaged Switch.  In the interest of community spirit, I
just
popped my plugin meter on it and it's pulling about 5w right now (only 2
devices connected at the moment).   For the sake of arguement lets assume
that rises to 10-15 at full pelt.

It's no longer available but I'd guess replacements like
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/54025
might be similar. (Why isn't there a
standard for benchmarking stuff yet that e-tailer list?... like idle power
consumption, max usage etc).

I've wondered a few times if it would be worth combining the several
wall-warts in the vacinity - ie powering several devices from one ww rather
than losing the inefficiencies of having 3 or 4 all getting warm.

/jon

www.jpdw.org / Information : The currency of the Future

2008/11/5 Stuart Poulton <stuart.poulton@xxxxxxx>

>   Hi,
>
> Take a look at the Zyxel GS-1524 rated at 43w max. I've got the 10/100
> version which uses 18w.
>
> Cheers
>
> Stuart
>

> On 5 Nov 2008, at 18:28, Paul Bendall wrote:
>
> > Evening all,
> >
> > In this time of energy conservation has anyone come across a
range of
> > power efficient ethernet switches? Currently I have a 24 port
Linksys