RE: Does Rack depth matter, if open backed ?

The rack case mounting rails I have have got front and back mounts
which are designed to fix to front and back uprights (rack strips) in the
rack.

Most rack PC cases (designed for servers etc) will be a LOT deeper than
300mm - more like 500-600mm plus. This is why server racks are normally 900
or 1000mm deep.

You could probably get away with mounting a fairly light, short case only
using the front rails only but heavier cases are likely to put significant
strain on only a single mounting point and could easily bend the mounting
ears etc.

The rack cabinet you have is likely designed as a data rack (for patching
etc) rather than for PC's and servers.

You could maybe employ some other kind of support at the back of the case.

Also worth checking to see if there's any other kind of obstruction at the
rear of the cabinet that would prevent you 'hanging' a case out the back.

Paul.

Chassis