RE: [ukha _d] Re: [ukha _d] Interesting Atom ITX board for £42 (not sure if that's ex or inc vat)

> Well I just found a reason for parallel ports again - running my
CNC mill!
> In fact I need two. Serial isn't any good as mills need simultaneous
> commands for stepper motors etc.

USB to parallel interfaces? ;-)

Nah - OK for your use then yes but if you need two then you're looking at
needing at least one PCI-Parallel card anyway.

> I've used USB to serial adaptors too for HA kit - I have 12 serial
> devices! Trouble is, occasionally after a restart or moving the
adaptors
> around, the coms ports would get renumbered - a real PITA! I presume
> you've not had that problem Phil?

I have but that's why I use the Keyspan USB adapters - they don't go to
the silly speeds that some USB adapters do but hardware wise they're rock
solid and you can fix them at a COM port number and they stay at that
number.

Phil