Re: UKHA Mailing List - Future. Volume dropping month by month

Hello,

> I have been thinking about this for a while but the UKHA list seems to
> be slowly getting slower and slower in terms of number of messages.

I'd noticed that before, and also on other email lists.

> I personally don't want to see the list slowly dying.

Neither do I, I feel that mailing lists are handy and prefer them most
of the time to a forum.

> Anyone got a feeling about what's going on?

2 main factors, people are using web based forums more, and there are
more and more of them causing things to be spread among more. There is
a corresponding drop in mailing lists as people move on and don't get
replaced due to new people using forums rather than mailing lists.
(Seen this in other lists)

Forums do tend to lend themselves towards dipping in and reading parts
of things easier, also tend to thread better and all responses are
together, Plus sub forums can keep all messages about subject areas
grouped together.

Probably a few other factors as well, like modern automation stuff
being easy to use, configure etc that the older items, or when people
custom built stuff from a box of parts.

Julie.