Device ON reporting - current sensors...

  • Subject: Device ON reporting - current sensors...
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:54:05 +0100

I'm after a tidy way of detecting when a device is switched on.
Preferably something that sits in the mains lead feed and senses current
levels.  It should cope with a standby current and a full on so ideally
should be intelligent or have a threshold current selectable. I would
like volt free contact reporting. What's available ? There used to be a
few of these -  the enthusiast versions involving a few turns of the
live or neutral wire around a toroid (a bit untidy)  but I can't seem to
find many now - or not at an economical price.

Having just been given one of the Intelliplugs (thans e-on) I was toying
with using those - it has switched socket outputs that could be used to
power a relay, does intelligent sensing and can be sourced for around a
fiver. There is a 5 second delay for both on and off sensing though and
the devices are slightly bulky being the size of a 3 way adaptor..
Something small and inline to the power cable (IEC connectors) would be
great.

On the devices I wish to monitor I dont't have any outputs that easily
reflect state eg a  voltage or video synch signal that could be used to
trigger something.  There is an LED if there was a light based sensor
but haven't come across one.

Any ideas - what do you professional installers use nowadays ? (although
no doubt its at a professional price too)