[OT] PC driver help please

  • Subject: [OT] PC driver help please
  • From: "JonS" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:34:27 -0000

I am on an Easter break at my parents and came prepared with laptop=20
(thanks Noel) web cam, skype, teamviewer and a wireless router (a=20
reflashed BT Home Hub) to enable them to make skype video calls with=20
us.
The install of the new router on their UWclub.net connection went=20
perfectly but I have screwed up their existing PC trying to get it to=20
talk to the new router.

I enabled the network port in the Device Manager and it ran through=20
the "found new hardware" process but then failed with an
"unable to=20
find file" error.  I searched their CDs found the motherboard
driver=20
CD, same problem.  Next I did an internet search and found the=20
driver, same problem.
Then I thought I'd just connect the PC to the router via USB, as=20
these ports obviously worked, but although the router reports its=20
self as a Thomson Speedtouch 7G, I couldn't find any drivers for that=20
so settled for the USB NDIS drivers for the Speedtouch 780 WL as this=20
looked the closest match.
However I was still getting the "unable to find file error".

This is where it went horribly wrong, instead of uninstalling the 7G=20
modem I unistalled their working-fine ST 330 USB modem, trying to=20
reinstall it "unable to find file" install from CD =96 still no
joy.
By this time I suspect the PC, but as time is short I thought I'd=20
install office on their laptop, transfer their files and get them=20
running that way while I sorted out the PC.
I have the office CD, but their have no record of their install key,=20
more bizarrely there is no record of it on their invoice (Evesham).
Feeling bad I will be leaving them in a worse position than before,=20
even if the video calls work a treat.

So can anyone suggest how I can get the desktop PC talking to either=20
BB modem (accept new drivers) or drop me an email with a key for=20
office 2002?

TIA
Jon