Re: asterisk help for newbie

  • Subject: Re: asterisk help for newbie
  • From: "Slavo" <slavo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:04:45 -0000

Stephen,

I've used asterisk at home for about 3 years now. I started with=20
plain asterisk but now I just use  a distribution called Trixbox.=20
You can find it easily on Google. It comes with complete install CD.=20
All you need is a half decent PC (I use Dell Optiplex GX100 from=20
ebay for =A330 IIRC). It runs on CentOS a flavour of Linux. It has a=20
nice GUI and is not very hard to configure.

I use it with variety of software and hardware. Cisco 7912, Sipura=20
SPA3000, PDA and laptop with SJPhone, Nokia E60. It works very well.

There is a lot of articles and how-tos for it on www.nerdwittles.com

Slavo

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@...> wrote:

> Stephen,
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Hi I have played with Asterisk a number of times, over the=20
years... and
> never really got over my lack of knowledge of Linux...
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> You may also want to try http://www.3cx.com/ which seems similar in
> function but run on windows :-)
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> I have just started out on this so can't comment on how good it is=20
but
> looking through the various bits and bobs it seems to be well=20
documented
> and I was able to load on an existing machine first time without=20
any
> issues...
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> You can experiment using soft phones on PCs and use an external=20
provider
> of PSTN lines... so no real H/W to worry about to begin with...
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> And of course it is Free, very important...
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> HTH