Re: Re: Time Capsule

Noel -

many thanks ...

not surprised plugging a G3 'phone for internet access into the Time
Capsule mightn't work, but am a bit disappointed - ie: with the G3
iPhone (said to be) on its way !!

'was thinking it could be better to have the music (videos, too, if
possible) on a disk not on anyone's Mac (laptops mightn't be there,
and both desktops & laptops might be busy with whatever someone was
doing) ... I'm assuming disk access is still an activity that can
slow things down, and having it on a HD in or plugged-into a Time
Capsule might be a good place, because the Time Capsule mightn't be
that busy, most of the time anyway ...

maybe the HA MiniITX PC running Cortex, if plugged into the Time
Capsule, could be the iTunes server, because it also shouldn't be
that busy (assuming CCTV-related loading doesn't get too high -
'though if it did, having a second MiniITX PC for CCTV might resolve
that issue, assuming Cortex could accommodate the approach) ...

BTW, one of the ways to access Cortex is via web-browser, so 'hoping
to use the iPod Touch for that, as well as for iTunes & occasional e-
mail / internet browsing, etc ...

Airport Expresses - I should have, but hadn't thought of using them
(as well) around the house ... I'll have to gen-up ... looks like our
shopping-list is getting longer ...

Someone mentioned Drobo recently, and when I checked their web-site,
they said it would work well with Time Capsule ... with Apple
dropping RAID (ie: no longer in the market), I wondered if other
approaches than RAID, maybe Drobo, might be better (ie: when Apple
stop something, it often means there's something better about - not
that their RAID offering was aimed at the likes of us, mind) ... if
so, that might free-up the Time Capsule disk for other things that
need to be shared, including the music etc ...

'was going shopping today, but think I'll leave it a few days
(probably go to GHC in Alfreton, about two hours away, but not keen
on going to Manchester & they seem to have a reasonable showroom,
plus they were helpful on the 'phone with another problem) ...

thanks, again

Chris