Latest message you have seen: Are the 'KeyStone' Modular patch systems standard?

Re: [OT] Current recommended disk recovery software (XP) ?

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Kevin Hawkins
<yahoogroupskh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> We had a powercut last night and now one of my (XP MCE) PC's
> won't boot. It appears to be a hard disk error , corrupt system /
> directory. The IDE drive is visible but the directory wont list.

Ahhh, disk recovery.  How long did you say that piece of string was?

BTW, If you can't boot it how do you know that the directory won't list?

Also do you know the the file system type (e.g. FAT or NTFS)?

First thing I'd try is to boot from a Linux Live CD. If the disk can
be mounted then save the files you want to another drive or a USB
flash.

Another option is to remove the drive and put it in a hard drive
enclosure and use another PC to copy the files.
If you don't have a spare enclosure then get one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106521
(It's a hard drive enclosure but without the enclosure - just
electronics and PSU.  Often it can be attached without needed to
remove the drive)

Nick.