Re: Re: Modern Home Servers - Power Savings

Price is a bit steep:
http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/index.php?act=3DviewProd&productId=3D342

2008/4/23 Andy Davies <dajdavies@xxxxxxx>:
> Be quite interesting to see what the new Via NAS board is like - got a
> C7 and depending on the model will support up 8 drives
>
> Andy
>
> 2008/4/23 Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>:
>> On Wed, April 23, 2008 1:59 pm, Mark McCall wrote:
>>  >> =A3295 a year is quite a lot of money to be spending on
running a se=
rver
>>  >> ...
>>  >> it's about 80p (or 10kw) a day.
>>  >
>>  > Looking at their article again -
blogs.technet.com/homeserver - they =
are
>>  > using German electricity prices which seem to be around
=A30.16 per u=
nit.
>>  >
>>  > 20 months ago I measured my basic Dell (single drive)
machine at arou=
nd
>>  > 150W
>>  > - http://tinyurl.com/26ge38 or 3.6 KwH's
(that compares to the 5 KwH'=
>>  > used for their server spec calculation).
>>  >
>>  > Here in NI electricity is currently (get it!) 11.11p +vat
per unit so=
>>  > calculate my 150W box at around 40p per day or =A3146.00 +
vat (5%?) =
per
>>  > year. So say that's replaced with a 20 Watt machine - that
would cost
>>  > approx =A319.30 +vat - so whatever your leccy prices, the
potential r=
elative
>>  > savings are undeniable.
>>
>>  Agreed ...
>>
>>  ... as long as you can do what you want to do with a 20Watt
device.

>>  Sure a WHS machine can serve a couple of TB of data but once you
go
>>  "outside the box" for storage then you start racking up
power again on
>>  multiple inefficient PSUs. My "new" server is back up
to 12 drives if y=
ou
>>  include the boot drive and draws a tad over 90w average (drives
spun do=
wn
>>  most of the time). Compare like with like and I'll be a convert
but fin=
>>  me the running costs for a WHS machine that is carrying 9Tb of
drives a=
nd
>>  is running SlimServer, Azureus, HomeGate (so can't be allowed to
sleep)
>>  etc.
>>
>>  That's all I'm saying - just compare like with like - an ickle
20w box
>>  which wakes upevery so often would suit my mum but not really
much use =