Re: Rack suppliers

Paul,

My home made rack has castors and it lives under the stairs.
Just for info, my rack is about 1.4m tall, about 600mm square and has
a couple of PCs, audio amps CD, tape, tuner etc. It's a completely
open frame assembly so I have good hand access all round, it's also
possible to twist it by 45degrees and still get "ok" access to
the
back, without pulling the whole thing out of the cupboard. I did have
visions of flashy frosted perspex sides etc. but it's got much better
ventilation & access without them.

Generally it's fine but there are a couple of points:
# Get large diameter castors - the ones I have are quite small,
perhaps 1.2 - 2 inches in diameter. Bigger wheels would ride better
over the join between the two bits of carpet I have
# All 4 of my castors swivel around (by design) but I wonder whether
just having two that swivel would be more controllable - think about
if you were to push the opposite end of a shopping trolley
# I think my DIY rack is of relatively lightweight construction vs.
commercial racks but even then it's still quite heavy to move. Whether
this is because of the small castors or just because it's full of
heavy kit I don't know. Perhaps a bit of both.

HTH,

Tim.