Latest message you have seen: RE: The iPhone 4 - Our First Impressions, Good and Bad

Re: Control central heating via PC, ideas please?

  • Subject: Re: Control central heating via PC, ideas please?
  • From: "Gary" <questuk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:31:59 -0000

Thanks Simon, I enjoyed reading your article, although as i say I'm
not brilliant at software. But i did understand the concepts.

I hope this subject will create a lot of discussion and perhaps a
project for some of us on here?

regards

Gary

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon McCaughey" <simonmcc@...>
wrote:

> Gary,
>=20
> I don't know how much help this will actually be to you, but I
changed our
> 3-zone central heating control to computer controlled about 2 years
ago, and
> have never looked back. I wrote my own software client so the
laptop, and
> kitchen pc could both control the heat, and i also have a remote web
> interface, and a sms interface (its great to text the heating 20
minutes
> before you arrive home on a cold winters evening)
>=20
> This is an article I wrote at the time
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=3Ddd8r2tb7_2gv37f6&hl=3Den_GB
>=20
> I used a serial controlled VIOM connected to some bigger relays which
> control the motorised valves. There are hard buttons in the utility
room
> too.
>=20
> The basic premise of my system is that a little human intervention
is better
> than a "smart" thermostat. I think it has saved us a fortune
in
heating oil.
>=20
> Simon
>=20
> On 30/07/2008, Gary <questuk1@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > With the just announced price rise in gas prices, I think it's
time to
> > see if i can save money by controlling my boiler using a lower
Power
> > PC such as a mini ITX. Then I can have lots of different time
zones
> > and more accurate control of the temperature at giving points in
the day.

> > For example, I have a RF wall mounted thermostat, but you can
only
> > adjust this in 1=B0 intervals, and sometimes that can make it too
hot i=