Latest message you have seen: Re: Free....Sony Ericsson HBH 20 Bluetooth hands free pendant

Re: Probably stupid wireless question

Cheers Simon

The Office Router is issuing DHCP to everything that connects via a
wired connection - its just wireless stuff via the WAP that dont get
given an address.

If this is norm its fine and i've no problem issuing all the wireless
bits with fixed IP's/DNS - i just wasnt sure if this was they way it
should normally happen.

Thanks

Dean.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Simon Smith" <s.j.smith@...> wrote:

> Wireless Access Points normally don't provide a DHCP feature because
they
> operate at a different network level to routers. Some more expensive
WAPs
> may provide DHCP, but I know my Linksys one doesnt. The router at
the office
> you mentioned could probably be configured to provide a DHCP service.
>
> Simon
>
> 2008/7/23 Dean Barrett <dean@...>:
>
> >   When i connect via a WAP rather than a Router with Wireless
built in,
> > should
> > i be able to get DHCP stuff.
> >
> > At home i have a Draytek Router with Wireless and everything gets
DHCP