Latest message you have seen: RE: Anyone seen the xantech touchscreens at lets automate

Re: Energy saving device - fact or fiction?

I'm saying that big industrial power factor correction units exist which
are tailored to specific applications and can cost in the order of several
thousand pounds per unit (we used to produce these kinds of things at
Schneider when I worked there so I used to see them around but they were
never one of my products that I was responsible for).

They can produce recordable, verifyable and significant savings in energy
consumption for large installations of a particular type of load (so - say
- the lighting for a large car park).

Call me a cynical old b*st*rd but I would strongly suspect that a plug in
unit at £15 (or whatever it is) that claims to be able to make
significant
electricity savings by active power factor correction in a domestic
environment where there are a large number of different devices connected
to the power supply simultaneously - each with their own characteristics -
is either the bargain of the century or may possibly be being oversold.

Be interesting to see what it does under a controlled, repeatable but
typical domestic test environment ...

Phil