Re: Photos of Home Automation

Hiya Ben,
Can I be a complete noob with this and ask some real basic (and nosey!)
questions . :)

Looking at http://flickr.com/photos/thinkinghouse/2674566591/
(the
overview of node0)

Going across the top These look like a bigger version of a distribution
panel - I guess the ones on the left give a nice lot of expansion! being
as there is nothing in there yet?
The cbus box in the middle - is this the brains to it all? I guess this
is the bit you plug your lan into and get at it via ip?
With the boxes on the right - do you have a breaker per each 'thing'
that gets switched? do you /need/ those or are the little control panel
strips overly sensitive?
Looks like there are 16 breakers in the top of each of those panels but
the right most has two controllers what's the difference?
Am I right in thinking that each of the cbus strips that are in each
panel is just using a cat5 patch lead to plug back to the brain unit (I
cant tell what that little box is under the brain is or where its hooked
to).

If this is the 'control centre' for it all - what type of wiring is
needed from a switch to turn on a light? again, all wired individually
back to the brain? (star topology?)

The boxes to the lower right and lower middle - these are the alarm
panels? - nuff said there :) (although - do these have a lan interface
as well?)

Lower left - looks like a regular distribution panel, any reason for
that with all the other stuff up there? What size feed is coming up from
your main house board (I've got a spare 32amp breaker itching to go
somewhere!)

Are you just switching lighting with all this or can you do regular 13
amp sockets as well?

Sorry for the grilling - just trying to get my head around how you go
about designing one of these things and how it all plugs together.
Hope you don't mind :-)

Thanks
Wayne.