Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Security of mains ethernet adapters?

Re: {Disarmed} Harmony to replace Pronto - Thoughts please.

  • Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Harmony to replace Pronto - Thoughts please.
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:36:59 -0000

Now I'm in two minds!=20=20

The pronto setup I've got is pretty sophisticated as it uses this room
based menu scheme (i.e. activity in a room) which everyone likes.  I'd
hate to go backwards on this.=20=20

I like the sound of Harmony's ease of setup but not potential
reliability / lack of custom macros.=20=20

SoPronto RU990 at =A3465 or Harmony 895 at =A3160ish.=20=20

Hmm!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@...> wrote:

> On the other hand - I've not had any of those problems using my
Harmony 895 to control my amp, DVD, sky boxes, plasma, lighting etc
etc. I did use generic Philips IR codes for anything special (which I
taught the Harmony from a pronto!!!) with HomeVision responding to
these (like lighting and curtain control etc).
>=20
> IME, as has been mentioned, the Harmony is far less flexible but is
significantly quicker to program than a Pronto etc. I've had a couple
of older Pronto's for years and never had the time or inclination to
fully finish programming them - there was far too much to do. Getting
the Harmony was one of those revelation moments where finally,
everything (at least in the AV room) just worked. That's my experience
anyway.
>=20
> Paul.
>=20
Thoughts
> > please.
> >=20
> > Just had to reply to this one ... it's one which has annoyed me
myself
> > quite
> > recently as I had to do some testing at work with various IR
remotes
> > and
> > used my own Pronto / iPronto remotes as well as some Harmony /
Philips
> > RC9800i remotes.
> >=20
> > For testing they were fine but I then decided to try the RC9800i
where
> > I'm
> > currently living on the Sky / DVD / AV Processor / SliMP3 /
Plasma
> > combination in the lounge. I have my iPronto in there at the
moment and
> > it
> > works perfectly with all input switching handled nicely and
accurately
> > but
> > I'll be moving out soon (all being well) and so I was looking for
> > something
> > to replace the iPronto with when I leave.
> >=20
> > I tried the RC9800i and the Harmony and Jesus H Christ I have to
say
> > that I
> > hate them with a passion ... I find them inflexible, unreliable
and
> > basically too annoying to use. Neither would reliably switch the
plasma
> > nor
> > the AV processor to the correct inputs, neither had codesets for
all
> > the kit
> > that I was using (I ended up learning codes from my iPronto) and
> > generally
> > it just reaffirmed to me that I want to stick with my proper
> > programmable
> > remotes which may take more time and effort to set up but at
least
> > repay
> > that effort by working!
> >=20
> > Phil
> >=20

different
> > remotes
> > > control different rooms?

the av
amp, tv

> > > Every hard button is configurable apart from the Device,
Activities,
> > > Power and Help buttons
> > >
> > > For each Activity, you configure which piece of equipment
should
> > > control
> > > the volume, channel etc

> > > It could certainly send IR codes to an X10 receiver, however
I'm not
> > > sure whether the Activity-based screens would allow
sufficient
> > control.
> > >
> > > I've got my Harmony controlling my Idratek-controlled
lights, but it
> > > took quite alot of fiddling to customise the activity
screens using
> > IR
> > > codes from an unused remote (which Idratek then learns and
responds
> > > accordingly)
> > >
> > > I think the Harmony scene-based control only works on ZWave
devices
> > and
> > > not X10/IR

cons)
about the

> > > Pros
> > >
> > > The way it tracks whether your devices are on or off is
pretty good
> > and
> > > works quite well.
> > > The Help feature also sorts  things out when things dont go
as
> > planned
> > > or a device misses is on/off command and gets out of sync.
> > >
> > > I've found email support to be pretty good
> > >
> > > Very SHMBO friendly and I don't hear many complaints
> > >
> > > Build quality is good and its sturdy - its taken quite a few
falls
> > off
> > > the sofa arm onto a hard wooden floor with no apparent
damage so
far!

> > > Good (online) database of devices and IR Codes
> > >

> > > Cons
> > >
> > > The main grip I have is that there is no native Macro
support. You