Latest message you have seen: RE: USB To Z-Wave Adapter, Houseport software comes to OS X

Re: Touch screen advice needed

  • Subject: Re: Touch screen advice needed
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:47:23 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:

> There is an updated version of the xAP plugin about to surface from
> Pierre (Xlobby France) that supports display of BSC level values,  xAP
> v1.3 and also neat slider controls for level devices that are
> synchronised realtime with the device state.  The latter is a really
> nice feature.   It also has an an  improved configuration interface.

That's very interesting as while the current one works ok and has
sufficed for me in terms of passing data (phone numbers, temp
readings) I've never got it working well in terms of issuing xAP
messages out from xLobby.

> You can use xAP to link with XLobby - but in a perhaps unexpected turn
> I'm going to recommend the HomeSeer plugin for XLobby which connects
via
> the HomeSeer speaker API which is very good.

Interesting, not considered that (I dont run HomeSeer).  I also use
Comfort with ACE Server & speech and I use that for integration too
and issuing voice commands (added integration by scripting xAP
messages out from ACE).

> My niggle with XLobby is that it has always tended to add features
> rather than fix existing issues - and with the free version having
been
> abandoned in this state it's left a difficult situation - but then it
> was free !    Calrad ownership didn't seem to help here either but
maybe
> commercial income and installer pressure will engender stability.

I agree on the fixing issues point, my version is actually quite old
(pre .net2 release) as I had it very stable and it did everything I
needed and the latter releases never seemed to add any useful HA
features.  So I left it there.  I've downloaded the later free
releases just in case!

It has been quite frustrating to see it just left hanging and then
plans around V3 distribution change to make it just (effectively) a
commercial product.  What makes it worse is that it seems to be
narrowing down to support just calrad technology and no view on
openness.  From what I can see on the forum of the pre-releases, they
were pretty flaky with no commitment to support the old user
community.  But, as you rightly say, it was originally free and the
guy has to earn a living.

That all being said, multizone audio, workable integration, nice and
customisable interface, multi-screen and ppc interfaces, plus (on my
version) robust and reliable, and free.  Well, its pretty hard to find
anything out-there that came close when I originally looked or since.

Richard