RE: Cat 5e Cable

Except they're not balanced in C-Bus...

...at the end of the day shielding on a CAT5 cable adds additional
capacitance which can be far more detrimental than induced noise (which can
be pretty easy to filter out). Add to that that most of these systems use a
pretty low speed comms protocol that isn't even what most people would
consider a slow serial link and the requirements are very different than
for
things like Ethernet.

Remember that for these distributed intelligence systems (such as C-Bus)
the
actual messaging overhead is very low and basically consists of messages of
maybe 5 or 6 bytes tops so even something like a 9,600 baud comms network
would be able to handle many hundreds of switching operations per second...

Phil

com