From: Tim Hawes
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] More PC than HA

Peter,

I've used Linksys access points in the past and when used as such it
was fine (I could never get them to work reliably as a wireless bridge
though). IIRC, the antenna are/were removable.

I've also used 3com and that was fine too, although the device I tried
had non-removable antennae. I'm currently using an old Lucent/Orinocco
access point that's capable of being fitted with an external antenna.

All is not lost though with fixed antennas - here's a cheap way to
boost or target your wireless coverage:
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

I've not been a big fan of Dlink or Belkin, don't know why, just an
irrational fear perhaps, as I've never used those makes.

As for buying, I'd happily recommend www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk - fast
service, no problems. Their "g" access point range is here:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=57

HTH,

Tim.

On Jan 13, 2008 12:56 PM, Peter and Jane <pandj.munnoch@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi
> Now we have started camping in the new (selfbuild) house,  would like
to leave the PC in the caravan, but use the laptop in the house. Plan is to
plug a wireless access point into the router and use the laptop WiFi.(g) in
the house. This is some 20 metres away, line of sight from caravan window
to patio doors. Eventually the WAP will go in the middle of the house
somewhere on the end of cat 5e and the router will go in node 0, but not
yet.
> A (brit) friend in Germany with background in this stuff recommended
an Ovislink 5460 AP saying many WAPs are under powered, plus a removable
aerial is better.
> Cant find this device in UK...has anyone a recommendation for a decent
WAP, with removeable aerial, plus a suggestion of a supplier. Nothing
expensive / fancy, no games, no big files, just e-mail and web browsing
needed.