Re: {OT} Simple lighting question

>  And final question, am I allowed to do this myself any longer
with
>  part P and all.
Part P does NOT prevent a householder/DIYer from doing **any** type of
domestic electrical work.  But whoever does the work  (spark or DIY)
is required to do it in such a way as to be safe.  HOWEVER, Part P
does require that some types of work be notified to building control
(basically more significant work or in more risky areas).  The
difference between a fully-part-p'd-up sparky and a DIYer is in the
notification process -- sparks can notify after doing the work;
everyone else has to notify building control in a similar way to any
other controlled building work - in writing to the council BEFORE
starting work.  The council will charge a standard building control
fee then after the work is done they may/may not decide to inspect
before issuing a certificate. (If they elect to subcontract the
inspection to an electrician or other contractor it is at THEIR cost,
not yours - though I've read that councils often try to wrongfully
foist this charge on the homeowner).

There's constant discussion of this subject and the definition of
what's in scope of notification or not over on the Electrics forums at
www.diynot.com.  There are also links on there to the Part P document
so you can see for yourself the definition of what is notifiable or
not.  I *think* (from memory) so long as you are adding the lights to
an existing circuit you are ok; if it's a new circuit it's notifiable.
But if any of the new ceiling lamps are in the bathroom, then it's
notifiable.  Find the document & have a read and it'll start to make
sense.

For the record, I'm not a sparky either, just a DIYer like you that
wants to do safe & legal work on my own home, so over the past couple
of months I've been trying to gain an understanding of how to stay
within the law without paying an electrician to do every single bit of
leccy work.

Suggest it would be worth you asking your question on DIYnot as well
as here as you'll get lots of answers to the need for firehoods,
fixing the cable / transformer and all sorts.

HTH

jon

--
www.jpdw.org / Information : The currency of the Future