{OT} Simple lighting question

  • Subject: {OT} Simple lighting question
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:20:37 -0000

Hi All,

Not HA but a very simple question for you.

I am looking at  fitting some low volate downlights in the upstairs
ceiling.

The lamps and transformer come with recommendations about ventilation
and spacing. I will have 3 x 35 Watt lights and a 150VA capable
transformer.

My loft is insylated with chopped fibreglass (horrible stuff) and then
boarded with chipboard. Would I be ok just leaving the area around the
light fitting free from insulation ( say 50mm) and it then enclosed
with the boards?

And is it ok to just leave the transformer in a free space on top of
the plaster (again with some room around it) or should it be screewed
to a roof joist?

And final question, am I allowed to do this myself any longer with
part P and all.

When do you need to fit Intumescent hoods? If the light is just into
the loft is that OK? what dictates the higher fire rating

Thanks in advance.