[OT] Weird acting monitor

My second TFT is playing up!

I thought it was my graphics card so I change it,  but it is not.

Basically it is a Samsung 17" monitor that I use as my secondary one
and it keeps displaying the message something like not optimal display
resolution - 1280x1024 60hz which flashes all over the screen.

Now the resolution is set correctly, I've tried a different monitor
and it works, I've swapped leads etc so it is definately the monitor -
any ideas if this can be fixed easily? Or would it be best to just buy
a new one.

I have to say I have had a lot of problems with these Samsung TFTs. I
think this is the 4th one I went through via warranty but now it is
past the warranty period.

How long are these monitors meant to last?

Can anyone recommend a new monitor? I am not sure I want to buy another
Samsung.

Ho Yin