Re: Re: Suggestions for mini-itx mobo for HA/home server

Nice, but it's pretty much at the top end of the price range though.

Also no power consumption figure is given.  Given that these mobos are
designed to be energy efficient it's a shame that "typical"
consumption dat=
isn't more readily available.  Yes I know you then have to add consumption
of other components etc but some benchmark comparison would be useful.

jon

On Feb 18, 2008 9:12 AM, Paul Bendall <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Jon,
>
> How about the recently launched SN series? Should future proff for a
> good few years and allows 4GB of memory which would be useful for
> running multiple VM's.
>
> Comes in 1GHz fanless or 1.8GHz with a fan
>
> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=3D11958
>
> HTH
>
> Paul
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jon
Wilkins"
> <jonpdwilkins@...>
>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm lookng for some advice/comments/recommendations on mini-itx
> boards.
> >
> > I've had an EPIA 800 for a few years now, chugging away nicely as
> a linux
> > server.
> >
> > But I am looking to "upgrade" for a number of reasons:
> > - I want to run Linux with XP in a VM for Idratek Cortex (or
other
> way
> > round), with linux running large fileserver, web server amongst
> other 'low
> > overhead' stuff
> > - the EPIA 800 uses the "old" Via C3 processor with
lack of CMOV
> > instrunction which seems to trip many modern linux distros &
other
> things
> > - It will be run 24/7 so power consumption is important
> >
> > Priorities:
> > - Low power draw (primary concern as it'll be on 24/7)
> > - Preferrably passively cooled (no fan)
> > - At least 2 HDs, of which 1 pref IDE/(p)ATA
> > - Enough grunt to run XP & linux "reasonably" (1 on
the metal,
> other in a
> > VM)
> > - Preferably 1Ghz or faster process (remember,.... passive cooled
> though)
> > - More recent process processor than the C3 (ie one that supports
> CMOV
> > instruction)
> > - Cost - ideally the lower cost end of the range
> > - Onboard GigE or PCI slot so I can plug in a GigE card
> > - "standard" / desktop memory slots preferred (rather
than SODIMM
> which
> > tends to be more =A3=A3=A3)
> >

> > Any suggestions welcomed!