Re: Suggestions for mini-itx mobo for HA/home server

  • Subject: Re: Suggestions for mini-itx mobo for HA/home server
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:12:38 -0000

Jon,

How about the recently launched SN series? Should future proff for a=20
good few years and allows 4GB of memory which would be useful for=20
running multiple VM's.

Comes in 1GHz fanless or 1.8GHz with a fan

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=3D11958

HTH

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Jon Wilkins" <jonpdwilkins@...>=20
wrote:

> I'm lookng for some advice/comments/recommendations on mini-itx=20
boards.
>=20
> I've had an EPIA 800 for a few years now, chugging away nicely as=20
a linux
> server.
>=20
> But I am looking to "upgrade" for a number of reasons:
> - I want to run Linux with XP in a VM for Idratek Cortex (or other=20
way
> round), with linux running large fileserver, web server amongst=20
other 'low
> overhead' stuff
> - the EPIA 800 uses the "old" Via C3 processor with lack of
CMOV
> instrunction which seems to trip many modern linux distros &
other=20
things
> - It will be run 24/7 so power consumption is important
>=20
> Priorities:
> - Low power draw (primary concern as it'll be on 24/7)
> - Preferrably passively cooled (no fan)
> - At least 2 HDs, of which 1 pref IDE/(p)ATA
> - Enough grunt to run XP & linux "reasonably" (1 on the
metal,=20
other in a
> VM)
> - Preferably 1Ghz or faster process (remember,.... passive cooled=20
though)
> - More recent process processor than the C3 (ie one that supports=20
CMOV
> instruction)
> - Cost - ideally the lower cost end of the range
> - Onboard GigE or PCI slot so I can plug in a GigE card
> - "standard" / desktop memory slots preferred (rather than
SODIMM=20
which