Re: Windows XP - Pro or Home?

My understanding (never having installed XP Home in the flesh) is
that=20
Pro gives you more granular security, enabling you to protect=20
directories/files on the PC so that offspring can't get to your personal=20
holiday photos etc. Whilst that is a fatuous example being able to=20
secure parts of the system from others is useful. You can set up a guest=20
logon (not called guest please) so visitors can start the machine and=20
browse the web but not see personal documents. Lots of domestic PCs were=20
sold with Home. Every Home installation "you know about computers
what's=20
wrong with this" seems to not be set up right. Chaos on the HD.=20
Admittedly not helped my "My Documents" on the C drive every
time.

I think there is a limited amount of encryption available in Pro but I=20
use Truecrypt as that is more flexible.

There used to be an MS site that detailed differences but with the=20
effective withdrawal from marketing of XP it might not be available any=20
more

Actually a quick google see: -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

and the paragraph about "Group Policy - simplifies the administration
of=20
groups of users or computers" is quite useful.

Hope that helps,

Simon

In message <006301c86f03$73f525d0$5bdf7170$@co.uk>, Alex
Monaghan=20
<ha@xxxxxxx> writes
>XP Pro will connect to a Windows domain and allow you to login to the
>domain
>and apply all the group policy management and so on, however for normal
>use,
>then I'd go with XP Home. It's easy enough to write a simple logon
script
>login to the domain if you have a domain (either Samba or Windows).
>Your laptop will usually either have a set of recovery disks (basically
>Ghost image of the default build) or will have the image on the laptop
and
>tools to produce a recovery disk. The bottom of the laptop will have a
>license sticker attached with the serial number should you need to
>re-install.

--=20
Simon Pawson