Remote control Media Player whole house - how ?

Automated Home DiscussionThe Vista PC in my study plays music via
Windows Media Player and also Internet radio via Shoutcast. I take the
output from the sound card and route that in to an amplifier that plays the
music throught the house.  All works great except no way to remote control
from another room.
As it is through walls and I want it to work in any room then I assume for
remote control the solution needs to be wireless or radio and not infared.
Because I want to control Shoutcast and Media Player I think the two
interface options are just muting the output from the sound card or
something with a screen that allows me web or TS control of the PC.
Muting the output is easy, I could just use a remote control Mains socket
and plug a mains relay into that which just switches open the audio link
from the PC to the amp. The remote control for the mains socket is small
and easy to carry about. This would work well if I just wanted to mute
sound to answer the phone.
More control I think is going to need a smarter device, should be small and
cheap with wifi and with a screen maybe 5 inch or less. If it runs a
browser I could make it work although TS would be better. But it needs good
battery life and ideally be instant on. It may be possible with an Ipod
Touch or possibly Archos but I'd really like something simpler ?
An other options ? Is there something in between the two options such as an
intelligent remote control ?
I know there are a bunch of wireless audio products such as the Sonos but I
don't want to go down that route, partly cost and also because the wired
audio system I have works really well.

David C