Re: Setting up an Airport Express

Dave McLaughlin wrote:
> I have installed the Airport Express software on the PC that will run
iTunes
> and plugged in the AE but I get nothing. The LED on the AE just
flashes
> amber.

Usually the default configuration of the Airport Express will be to pick
up an address via dhcp on the LAN port, and create a wireless network
with an SSID derived from the MAC address (IIRC). If it's a recent one,
it'll be 802.11n, but will be set to run in compatibility mode - not
sure if that includes 802.11b though!

However, the fact that the LED flashes amber suggests it's not happy,
although IIRC the first time you turn it on it takes a little longer to
sort itself out (it will flash amber initially, but should go green
within a couple of minutes).

Once the LED has gone green you should be able to connect to the
wireless network without any further setup - look for an SSID of the
form "Apple Network <hex string>". The setup s/w should
then be able to
spot the Airport Express.

(It's a great default setup. We went to France earlier this year and
found the hotel wi-fi coverage patchy, so I bought an Airport Express in
FNAC, plugged it into the wired network port in the room, and was able
to connect via my iPod touch within a couple of minutes of opening the
box!)

If you can't connect wirelessly for some reason, plug the LAN connection
into your router or PC. It should definitely appear in the setup s/w
then...

Jim

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109