RE: Re: Sony BDP-S550's - built in LAN and Java!

wrote:
>=20
> > Hmmm ... the last 1Tb drives I saw were =A366 each *INC* VAT
>=20
> Wow - where was that?  I've not seen any less than =A377.

Aria regularly have them on their "specials" email at that
price...
=20
> I'm expecting Dear Prudence's economy-wrecking crusade to result in
> higher prices very soon, seeing as the exchange rate collapse is
> moving against imported tech.

Yeah - it's pretty much imminent with plenty of manufacturers also
indicating that rises are around the corner.

> > I keep buying "big" drives
> > when they come out and are expensive so my first 1Tb drive was
> =A3400. (My
> > first 1Gb flashcard was =A3404, my first 27Gb hard disc was
=A3280 -
> you get an
> > idea of the trend huh?)
>=20
> Yeah, I'm going to try my best to be patient when the 2Tb drives come
> out...

Yup - 1.5Tb drives aren't enough of a jump over 1Tb drives to justify their
purchase but 2Tb drives might be a different matter.

> > I've just this weekend added another 20 SATA drivebays to my
server
> > (with the possibility of adding another 20 before I have to start
> rethinking
> > hardware) so I should be good for another year. ;-)
> >
>=20
> 20?!!!  Do you have the facility to spin these drives down, or do you
> just turn the heating down? ;-)

LOL - 13 drives in the current server and I made a damn good job of keeping
it quiet (if I do say so myself) so that it actually currently lives about
=
3
feet from the foot of my bed and is still quiet enough for me to sleep
through (given I'm still "between houses"). The thing does keep
my room
toasty enough that I don't have any heating on in here at all though.

Unfortunately the new drive enclosures aren't as quiet as I want them to be
yet ... will have to do some work on that.

The drives can spin down ...

Phil

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109