RE: Re: Sony BDP-S550's - built in LAN and Java!

> I'm taking a longer view of it this time round.  By the time my
DVD
> collection had grown to a significant size, large hard drives were
> available, and all the time spent reformatting and shrinking movies
> turned out to be a wasted effort.  Why bother spending 30 hours re-
> encoding each movie when you can fit them all on a couple of drives
> now?  Seagate already offer a 1.5Tb drive, and 2Tb drives are coming
> next year.

Yeah- I never bothered compressing movies down at all - just removed all
the
surrounding stuff such as extras and foreign language audio tracks.

The 1.5Tb drives are still a hefty premium over 1Tb ones though ... :-D

> With HD, I've decided to keep the original streams intact - after
> all, the point of going HD is for the quality, so reducing the bit-
> rate is madness.

Absolutely...

> The only tricky ones are the HDDVD movies, because PowerDVD has
> dropped HDDVD playback, and Nero Showtime no longer supports HDDVD or
> BluRay.

I use ArcSofts TotalMedia Theatre for that as it does HD-DVD playback from
network location (as well as DVD and Blu-Ray)...

Phil

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109