Re: Which HA standard to use for first home?

  • Subject: Re: Which HA standard to use for first home?
  • From: "Duncan" <duncan.sample@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 05:12:53 -0000

wrote:

> > Hi Mal
> >
> > Sorry, I had totally forgotten the message was there still.  I've
> > removed it now.  I'm currently in the process of redesigning the
site.

> > I really value your opinion, as I read your Z-Wave page a few
moments
> > after posting and started having doubts in my choice.  I'm
wondering
> > what alternative there is though that offers the same kind of
features
> > that isn't hard to fit (ie. doesn't require a full rewiring of
the
> house).
> >
> > Duncan
> >

> I feel quite negative towards Z-Wave in the UK (as you may have
> gathered) - the products have not appeared as promised.  Even now the
> range is extremely limited - a couple of plug in modules and some
cheap
> looking plastic lightswitches.  The remote is very bulky and old
> fashioned.
>
> It's also a complete pain in the ass to set up and configure - far
more
> complex than it needs to be.
>
> Despite the complexity and lack of software, I'd probably go for
Z-Wave
> myself if the range of devices was better - e.g less cumbersome
> remotes, wire-in modules (instead of plug in) and more elegant
switches.

> For an alternative, you could look at HomeEasy - it's wireless and low
> cost, and you can buy the modules in B&Q.  It seems reliable
enough to
> me, although there is no feedback of status that you get with Z-Wave.
> In that respect it's more of a wireless replacement for X10.  HomeEasy
> don't do a PC interface, but you can use an RFXCOM
transmitter/receiver
> instead.
>
> HTH
>
> Mal

Hi

Well, after reading the 'ZWave USB' thread I immediately fell in love
with the Vera.  From what the site shows it's aimed at normal people,
although from their Wiki it seems like it's just a normal Linux Router
underneath, so plenty of room for some customisation.

Since the site had a 33% discount on, and it seemed fairly cheap, I
ordered one.  If anyone from AutomatedHome.co.uk wants a review of it,
I'll be happy to help.

If it's as simple as the site shows, then Nokia should be using this
as the benchmark for the controller to beat, as far as ease-of-use goes.

Duncan

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109