Re: Problem with sockets

Assuming the wiring was done in some sort of 'compliant' way then ,
because the sockets are not on a ring main anymore then they do need to
be fused - either by being connected like a trailing socket - ie an
accessible plug with a fuse in it - or preferably, and more
professionally, on a fused spur.    Are the other four sockets on a ring
main  ?  ( I suppose the whole leg could be a single run (ie not a ring
main) as long as the fuse in the consumer units was suitably downrated.
Not sure re regs on that... but that's not the problem anyway).

No easy way to trace where wires route except removing the faceplates
(after isolating power) will give some physical clues - particularly on
the sockets that still work if they are in a daisychain arrangement of
some form to the other failed sockets.  You may have to remove the
backboxes too and see the directions the wires go in.

Challis wrote:
> Just an idea, from some of the fantastic stunts I've seen in various
> houses....
>
> They are not plugged in to an old double socket (prehaps behind the
> drywall), blown the fuse in one of the plugs.
>
> Always get a good feeling when I find twin and earth going to a
plug.... Got
> one in my current house on the "to sort" list that leads
from a plug in the
> cooker socket, out to a better position by the window. :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard
>

> On 26/08/2008, Stuart Grimshaw <stuart.grimshaw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Ok, now I don't expect a "your problem is X" answer to
this, but