Re: [OT] ADSL/Phone problem

  • Subject: Re: [OT] ADSL/Phone problem
  • From: "pjqx" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:03:14 -0000

The extension in the study is a BT/Housebuilder wired socket (3rd in
the daisy chain (Master Socket, Bedroom, Study)) wired with cat5.
I have disconnected the bedroom phone just to eliminate it from my
enquiries.

I can still make it happen, could it be anything at the exchange end?

Tim.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Andrew Walker" <andrew.walker@...>
wrote:

> Just a thought.
>
> I fixed an issue with a friends ADSL where the extension lead (20m
cheap
> reel type) was causing intermittent internet access.  Previously he
had
> left AOL, bought a new computer and joined sky broadband to try and
fix
> it.
>
> Anyway, the modem always connected fine, but with the extension reel
> connected the upstream noise margin sometimes dropped to 1dB.  But
then
> again sometimes it was ok about 7dBm.
>
> He relocated the modem by the master box, removed the extension
reel and
> all was fine, .  His upstream/downstream speeds also improved.
>
> Is your extension CAT5 cable or cheapo coiled extension reel?

Behalf
> Of pjqx
> Sent: 26 April 2008 15:31
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] [OT] ADSL/Phone problem
>
> Sorry about this, but as I know the wealth of wiring experience of
this
> list I thought I'd take a punt.
>
> My ADSL goes screwy periodically - The Ping times are always fine,
but
> the number of uncorrected blocks reported by the Vigor page goes
crazy
> (like 50% of the blocks arriving are bad).  After a few days of
> intensive swearing, and swapping components I have (I think)
isolated
> the problem.  The problem only seems to occur when there is a phone
> plugged into the main house socket (the DSL is in the study on an
> extension).  If there is only a microfilter plugged into the socket
> there are no issues, but if a phone is plugged into the micofilter
then
> the manure enters the air conditioning.  I have tried different
micro
> filters and different phones, but the problem is repeatable -
Anyone got