RE: Thoughts on storage devices??

I had 3 x 8 bay firewire to IDE enclosures on a Mac Mini as my file
server
for a couple of years and it worked without a hitch ... the Mini actually
spins the drives up and down reliably (as opposed to Windows and Linux
whose
firewire support for external drives suck).

If you are careful and plan out your storage strategy you can actually mask
the spin up time quite effectively too - I used to have a directory on the
mini's internal drive which contained links/shortcuts to the actual movie
files spread out over the external drives and so that was browseable
without
having to spin up the external drives which - because there were 26 of them
(3 x 8 + 2 additional external drives) could take several minutes.

Phil