RE: Whole House Rennovation Automation Plans - Have I got it right?

At the risk of sounding like I'm taking sides in a holy war between
Comfort & Homevision (which couldn't be further from the truth)...

I think I'm right in saying that comfort can do fairly comprehensive
zoned IR out of the box... certainly any comfort output can have an IR
emitter connected to it, and under programmatic control any learned IR
signal can be transmitted from any zone. IR codes can be learned
directly from an original remote, via a comfort IR receiver, or can be
transferred in Philips Pronto format. I dare say there is an upper limit
to the number of IR commands that can be learned/stored, but I'm not
sure what that limit is. - I believe it's a memory limit rather than a
fixed number of "slots" (but I could be wrong about that part) -
Also, I
recall software methods of working around the memory limits to allow
Comfort to reference an *unlimited* database of IR commands (ISTR it was
ACE-Comfort by Dan Hoenen that did this, which I think is still
available).

Inputs are similarly flexible, - all the current keypad models have an
IR receiver in them, plus there are various IR receivers available to
connect to other comfort inputs.

What it *Isn't* however, is an IR distribution system; it can receive IR
commands and react to them, and it can transmit IR codes it has stored
in memory. - It doesn't take an IR command from an input and relay that
to an output, - although of course, such an action could be programmed..

The only limitation I'm aware of is a finite number of IR input commands
that can be used to trigger responses; - I believe a maximum of 128 IR
commands can be recognised. (Although many more than this can be learned
& transmitted in responses).

I absolutely agree with the principle of keeping all the logic
processing in one place! - I used to have a hell of a time trying to
figure out why some unexpected action or other was occurring, when I had
3 or 4 possible HA controllers that could be causing them! (I had
Comfort, Homeseer, CBUS PAC, and an Ocelot; - I had to check them all to
track down where the commands were coming from!).  I've therefore taken
the approach of moving all the logic that I possibly could into just one
controller, and for me, the obvious choice was Comfort. (It's the best
connected, not PC based, etc.) I've even gone so far as to sell the
Ocelot on EBay. I now have 90% of all my HA logic performed by Comfort,
using the CBUS PAC & Homeseer *only* for those occasions when it just
makes more sense to do so.

Years ago, I very seriously considered purchasing a Homevision. In the
end I didn't, since I'd already decided that I definitely needed a
security system, and that I definitely wanted the security system to be
tightly integrated with the HA, (for the reasons I already alluded to in
my earlier message). I was a tad poorer back then, (having a 90 year old
house to refurbish), so the economics of getting *both* Comfort & HV
didn't stack up at the time. Also, the focus of the HV unit on using a
TV as a display interface wasn't something that appealed to me either.

Now that I've got to grips with working with Comfort, and for the
aforementioned reason of concentrating the logic in a single controller,
I don't think I would go for HV now... - but that's just me... I also
don't want to expand my HA control system out to more units that don't
integrate *fully* with the existing components, and for me, connecting
controllers just by using a few dry-contact closures between the inputs
& outputs to signal basic conditions, just doesn't cut it. I want a
full, rich communication protocol between what would effectively be two
halves of the same brain... (Which is the one thing that Irks me with my
planned implementation of Honeywell Hometronic).

All IMHO, of course...

Paul G.