Re: Re: OT: Kaliedascape Wannabe!!

For drives, take a look at Overclockers.co.uk.  They have WD
GreenPower
1TB drives designed for server use with a 5 year warrenty for only
£130
inc vat.  They may only spin at 5400rpm, but they're plenty fast enough
for serving media files (including HD), and they'll keep the leccy bill
down :-)

Mal

simon.millward wrote:

> I have just bought the adaptec AAR-21610SA. Got it on ebay for
£120.
> Not knowing much about them, I hope I got a bargain!!!
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Rob
> Heyes" <rob@...> wrote:
> >
> > You may want to take a look at the Chenbro RM414 that will take
16
> > drives (but horizontally mounted). I have one of these from
> > www.xcase.co.uk. It's a big case though and very noisy with the
> > 5x80mm stock fans. If you use low power (and low heat) drives you
> can
> > probably replace the fans with something a bit quieter.
> >
> > If you're looking for something cheaper then the RM420 looks very
> > interesting.
> >
> > Out of interest, which RAID controller are you getting? If it's a
> > 3ware then buy the battery backup unit as well, or write
performance
> > will really suck.
> >

> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "simon.millward" <simon.millward@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi guys, It's been a while since I last posted on this site,
so I
> > > would like to say hello to everyone again.
> > >
> > > I have a question that I am hoping someone can help me with.
> > > recently looked into purchasing the basic Kaliedscape 3U
version,
> > > until SWMBO saw the hefty £14K price tag and asked me
if I could
> > > build something cheaper. So that's my project now!!!
> > >
> > > So I must ask some questions of all the helpful souls out
there.

> > > 1. I need a 19" Rackmount Sever Case that I can use as
a NAS. I
> have
> > > looked around but can only find some that don't really suit.
> saw
> > > one like http://www.raidware.com/chassis.htm
> <http://www.raidware.com/chassis.htm>
the 3U unit. I am