RE: New pics - loft conversion

It's a multi part approach - the roof rafters have been seriously
uprated (massive timbers), two ridge beams (405mm x 115mm x 6.5m) will
support these at the ridge and the steels support the new floor plus take
the centre load of the ridge beam. The steels sit on the load bearing
existing outside walls and also have two steel posts running down to the
first floor where there's a solid block work wall. Quite a lot of work and
a big structural engineers bill!

Could have been simpler though if we had larger dwarf walls running down
the loft sides and cross beams at ceiling height like you see in most loft
conversions. The idea though was to have a large open space - this has
obviously cost a lot more to do but I think will be well worth it :)

The W truss modern roofs are quite a bit more difficult to convert than the
older purlin style roof construction.

Paul.