RE: [OT] (A little) : Firewire cables...

> The Linux firewire support has recently been completely
rewritten.

> http://kerneltrap.org/node/8132
>
> It looks like it has been considerably improved and many of the old
> failings in it finally removed.
>
> --
> Barry Myles

Oh balls!

That sticks things back to where I was four years or so ago ... all options
open...

Well, not quite, quoting from that URL:

Kristian went on to note the following regressions when comparing the new
stack to the old: "eth1394 not ported over, there is nothing
preventing this
from being done, though, but there's a couple of infrastructure bits that
aren't done yet; no support for the PCILynx chipset, nobody has this
chipset
anymore, and the pcilynx driver in the old stack is bit-rotting anyway;
some
SBP-2 (storage) devices fail after significant amounts of IO, not clear
what
the problem is, but I can reproduce it here and am working on fixing
it."

It was the "some SBP-2 (storage) devices fail after significant
amounts of
IO" that screwed me up as far as using Linux for my Server at the time
was
concerned...

...at least they can now reproduce the problem now - they couldn't when I
was reporting it before. :-D

Phil