RE: Re: [OT] External Hard Disk

  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] External Hard Disk
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:58:18 +0100

> If I could be sure that Microsoft had sorted the infamous
> "Delayed Write Failure" bug of old on Vista / XP or even
> better Windows Home Server then I'd have no qualms about
> defecting back to Windows but the simple fact is that the Mac
> Mini just does the damn job so bloody well!

Funny you should mention that....

My web based jukebox that I wrote worked perfectly on Win98 and Win2k but
after migrating to XP it would hang at the end of the track until it popped
up a "delayed write failure" message which I though was strange
as I was
only reading the mp3 files from the server.

I found that I could overcome the problem by allowing the webserver write
permissions on the mp3 directory. I wonder if an update to Window Media
player has also contributed to it as I use an embedded mediaplayer in the
webpage.

Since making that change the problem has gone away. Obviously I would allow
the webserver write access on anything outside these four walls !!!!