Re: Re: [OT] External Hard Disk

I don 't see why it should be a problem - if the drives are connected
via firewire or USB, powering off the array should be no different than
pulling a flashcard or unplugging a camera as far as the OS is concerned.

The main problem as I see it would be retaining drive letters and having
to re-share drives when they are turned on.  Hopefully that can be
sorted programatically by the server.

Mal

Phil Harris wrote:

> I would really really strongly advise against that ...
>
> ... any OS would be justified in getting its tits in a twist if drives
> simply "vanish" without being able to do any housekeeping of
its own
> before
> they are removed.
>
> Phil

On
> Behalf
> > Of Mal Lansell
> > Sent: 01 September 2007 22:29
> > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: [OT] External Hard Disk
> >
> > I couldn't find a definitve answer on the win2k/eternal spindown
thing,
> > but since the drives will be read only in normal use, I guess I
can
> > just
> > stick the array on an appliance module and power on/off when
needed.

> > Mal

and is static, so