Re: Re: [OT] External Hard Disk

From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>

> I was hoping for a few guesses other than Paul's "3
Gigawatts" first but
> yeah I suppose I could do...
>
> 224-228 watts whilst all drives spun up and accessing data - which I
thought
> was pretty bloody good given what it's doing and the sheer number of
drives
> that are on the thing!
>
> (119 watts with the drives spun down but the Mac still running - the
Mac
> itself takes around 35 watts.)
>
> Phil

So pretty much one unit (kWh) an hour (228 is near enough 230)

1 unit x 24 hours x 365 days = 8760 units per year

I've been looking at the power switching website and electricity can be
from
5p to 11p a unit (excluding those 26p units where the deal has no standing
charge).

So that server could cost anywhere from £438 to £964 per year
depending on
electricity costs (£1.20 to £2.64 a day)

Bro