[OT] Laptop power problem

I have an HP Easy Note laptop here that has some power issues. It
will not turn on at all with the power adapter that originally came
with it: an FSP120 - dc output - 19.0v - 6.32a max 120w max. (no
battery at the moment)

However when I connect the adapter from my IBM laptop (dc output -
16v  - 4.5a), the laptop boots up ok when I jiggle (official
technical term) the connector about.

I opened the laptop firstly and seen at the DC socket, the joint for
the + was broken so that explains why it only powers up when I
jiggle the connector up, forcing a connection between the component
and the circuit board. Applied a little solder to the broken joint.
Wholah. Starts up perfectly every time.

However, It still only starts up with the IBM power adapter, and not
the original adapter. With the IBM adapter I measure a pretty much
very steady 16v across the DC socket. When I connect the original
adapter I get a voltage which jumps about between 16v-18v, but I am
measuring something there. I can guess the jumping voltage is just
due to a unregulated DC supply?, or maybe the jumping voltage is
indicating a problem with the adapter or just the plug on the
adapter?

Pretty stumped.

Chris