Re: ETRAX 100LX MCM4 Chip - Linux-on-a-chip system

  • Subject: Re: ETRAX 100LX MCM4 Chip - Linux-on-a-chip system
  • From: "bifferos" <bifferos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:46:31 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Chris Miles" <chrismiles@...>
wrote:

> I have been reading up on this Linux on a chip system, which comprises
> oboard 4MB flash, and 16MB SDRAM.
>
> All you need to add is connectors (rs232, RJ45 etc), and a few bits
and bobs such
> as a power switch, power logic, crystal osc etc.
>
> http://developer.axis.com/old/products/mcm/index.html
>
> Now it comes as a 256-pin PBGA chip.
>
> Is there anyway I can easily breadboard one of these, as I dont have
a clue about
> PCB making (yet)

You can't breadboard BGA packages, in fact I'm not even sure you can
buy adapters to breadboard them.  If you could, they would cost > 50
quid.   I think you're looking at an investment of about 1000 pounds
to create boards with that chip.  If you want to get into embedded
Linux cheaply it is much better to buy a router.  That will cost up to
50 quid for 4MB wireless models.  See www.openwrt.org for details.

The cheapest linux router I know of is currently the Edimax BR6104K at
www.scan.co.uk for 14.68:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=152542

For one with USB, check out the Omnima
http://www.omnima.co.uk/kp

These are MIPS 200MHz processors, 16MB DRAM, 2MB flash, ethernet,
serial port, and at least 10 IO lines if you desolder the LEDs.  You
can have up to 4 i2c busses, so quite a few possibilities.

There's no formal support, but there is a lot of info out there:
http://www.amilda.org
http://midge.vlad.org.ua/forum
http://www.sunspot.co.uk
http://www.openwrt.org

I've not seen any Axis boards for less than 100 Euro, but I suppose it
depends what is important to you!

regards,
-biff.