Re: Hello

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:
>     I guess I have a fundamental question - do you see the controller
(=20
> or an evolved version) being a device that performs one specific task

I think it could be either.  The device has 2MB of flash which leaves
about 100KB free for data logging or storing settings.  I think with
the removal of certain kernel modules and non-essential bits of linux
I could increase this to about 400KB.  There's about 7MB of memory for
applications, so it might be conceivable that this could be used as a
master controller, but, being unfamiliar with the common systems used
for this, I've no idea of what people expect from them.   No sense in
creating something that neither I nor anyone else would use.

> for which plugins already exist.   If your hardware has the RS232
level=20
> shifter then a serial connection remains an option but seems to not=20
> maximise the controllers capabilities , it may however be easier
for=20
> users to work with serial rather than a Telnet connection and may be
the=20
> only option for a hardware controller like HomeVision.  The=20
> Telnet/serial protocol could be the same.=20=20=20

For temperature sensing I have been using the Z8 Encore XP 8-pin
microcontrollers.  They have on-board temp sensor, 8k flash, 1k ram
and are programmable in C (cost about 1.50 ukp ea).  If the interface
was rs232, then I presume I can fit this xAP interface in the 8k of
microcontroller flash, so no need for OpenWRT.  My own house is wired
for cat5, so that's not so interesting for me, but it would certainly
drive down the cost.

If possible I would=20
> recommend that you do have an onboard web interface for
configuration if=20
> it's not too onerous a task,  which opens another possibility of an
http=20
> control interface.

I can implement this fairly quickly if it's not too complicated.  I
just thought it would be boring to churn through implementing a web
interface for the daily presets when something might already exist for
this purpose.  Also, I'm appalling at web design, so although I can
probably get it functionally working it will doubtless look awful :(.

> xAP hat on...=20
>     I'm a great advocate of trying to allow all your HA devices to=20
> operate without dependence on a PC application (ie embedded) and
hence=20
> my own personal preference for xAP.  xAP/xPL is just an easy yet=20
> powerful model to use to get things all talking.     You can then
layer=20

OK, I can have a look at xAP.  I was wondering which of the two is
better/has wider support.  I don't want to start a flame war on it,
but it would be much better to just support one of these + web I/F
rather than having loads of ways of configuring the thing.

> more complex control on top of this using your favourite PC HA=20
> application as well so it's very flexible.  As you have to create a=20
> control/eventing protocol of some form  anyway it's just one that's=20
> there for you already should you wish.   There are emerging xAP
embedded=20
> controllers too now - like opnmax that runs on the Linksys NSLU2
and=20
> even HomeVision,  a perennial UKHA favourite,  can integrate xAP
devices=20
> now using the embedded gateway.
> xAP hat off....

Assuming I can find some free software to test against, I can probably
support xAP.  I'm confused as to how 'free' HomeVision is, but perhaps
you can enlighten me?

> Re the rest of your questions.  =A319 for the base controller (=A330
kitt=
ed=20
> out) seems pretty affordable, and it's nice to have the option of a=20
> cased version.  My preference would be for 1-wire but that's just=20
> me...    If you do choose to support multiple endpoint sensors then
you=20
> have to decide again on the role of you device - as a centralised=20
> climate control system with perhaps zone control ,  or multiple=20
> individual controllers.  Weather station sensors... etc
>=20
>    Great project you're working on there, lots of potential I think
:-)

Thanks for the feedback!

-biff.