Vista Media Center Hardware - living room looks & reasonable priced

  • Subject: Vista Media Center Hardware - living room looks & reasonable priced
  • From: "Juan Amador" <juane@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:11:31 -0000

I am sure somebody has asked this before - but will jump anyway.
I am thinking about getting a Vista MCE system in my living room.  I
have been googling for a couple of hours or so - and I think I now
know what to put into my wish list:
- overall "full-on" power consumption of around 100W,
- silent - say below 28db while recording TV programs,
- dual DVB-T receiver
- HDMI output (or at least DVI-D that can be converted to HDMI)
- LAN conectivity (no need for wireless)
- can sit under TV witout looking out of place
- Vista rather than WXP MCE

The list above means that processor needs to be Intel Core 2 Duo T-
series - either T5600/667, T7200/667, or T7400/667 (ie the low
power / laptop type).  Memory around 2GB and hard disc of say 300GB-
500GB - ideally around GBP1000 price point.  Well, would you believe
that I cannot find a single piece of kit that fits the bill?

The closest I can get is:
1) Shuttle M2000M as spec'd by shoeboxcomputers.com
This is 1.83GHz T5600, 667Mhz FSB, 2GB DDR2-667, 256MB Video,
3gbps SATA 500GB, DVD, Dual tuner etc -  BUT windows Xp - approx
GBP1400

2) HUSH E2 as spec'd by hush-technologies.net
This is a 2.16Ghz T7400, 667Mhz FSB, 2GB DDR2-667, 256MB Video,
3gps SATA 500GB, DVD, Dual tuner etc, with Vista - BUT a hefty GBP
1790 price tag

3) Sony Vaio VGX-TP1E with T5500, generally lower spec and a single
DVT-Tuner - but at mere GBP800

Has any body found anything else?

Thanks!