Re: Ethernet Cameras

  • Subject: Re: Ethernet Cameras
  • From: "shieldsauk" <ha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:26:16 -0000

When I started looking a couple of weeks ago I was suprised at the
number of people
selling these that either didn't have a camera set up for testing, or if
they did it didn't
work.

I just bought a panasonic BB-HCM531CE. It seems ok but I've only played
around with it
for a few hours and it's back in the box now till the garage is built.

I'ts waterproof for outdoor use, supports power over ethernet and is
controllable for pan
and tilt from the browser. It works on a Mac and didn't download any
plugins (although it
does for IE), I don't think it's going to be much cop for nighttime unless
I have a lot of
lights. It cost about 350 quid on ebay from a company in leicester called
PowerKey
Computing. They set one up for me to try out first. If you want one for
indoor use you can
either save a bit of money or get one with more pixels.

A lot of the cheep chinese ones on ebay seem to require Internet Explorer
and download
an activex control, some also offer the option of a java plug in but I'm
hoping to eventully
view it from an ipod touch which doesn't have java.

I had a cheap 4 channel DVR that could FTP images to my Mac in the house
but couldn't
get through the router to my web server on the internet, the panasonic can.

Both Axis and Mobotix cameras support OSX according to their documentation,
they are
also more expensive but maybe worth it.

Another one that I considered was this

http://www.ipcctvcameras.co.uk/CAM_R3020HQIPIPCCTVCamerasProductDetails.htm

Which offers everything that I need but and is cheaper than the panasonic
but I couldn't
find any information on compatibility.

Cheers
Alan Shields