Re: WHS Tips

  • Subject: Re: WHS Tips
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:26:25 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:

> Mal.
>
> You should be able to redirect your TEMP folder to another drive to
> avoid some, if not all, of those issues.
>
> The standard windows temp folder is part of your user profile, and
is
> pointed to by a couple of environment variables. You can certainly
set
> up another temp folder on another drive, and change the environment
> variables accordingly. The only issue is whether the 3rd party
programs
> in question actually honour the windows temp setting, or if they
use
> their own temporary files management scheme. Rooting around in the
> registry usually reveals any application-specific temp folder...
>
> Paul G.

Yeah, I think a registry-rummage might be the only way.

I have to say I am tempted by WHS - my current Win2k install is
being a complete pain, with Active Directory giving up every few
hours and endless errors being logged (although I can still log on
and access folders from all PCs except my main desktop one!)

A couple of questions - can I leave my email on the WHS PC IMAP-
style, so it can be accessed from any other machine?  And can it be
set up to do a backup to an ftp site or to a removeable drive (i.e.
for offsite backups)

Mal