Re: Re: WHS Tips

Jamie Bennett wrote:
> WOW, 5TB of storage! I get funny looks when I say I have 3TB of
storage
> (400ish DVD's) and thats spread over 3 computers! I really need to buy
more
> but the cheapest I've seen the WD 1TB drives is a whopping 174.99!

*cough* *stares at feet* *shuffles uncomfortably*

$ df -h /av?
av:/av1               2.0T  1.9T   60G  97% /av1
av:/av2               1.5T  190M  1.5T   1% /av2

I gave up on sticking disks in PCs though -- that's part of an iSCSI-
attached RAID5 SATA array containing twelve 500GB disks.  The rest is
for my files, mail, asterisk, mythtv and NFS mounts for diskless
machines (I have one mythtv front end which is already diskless and a
second which will be as soon as I suss out how to get the SPDIF output
working properly).

Expensive, but it's meant that I've been able to turn off two PCs so
far, with two or three more to follow once I get everything transferred
over, and one more to have its disks removed, so hopefully there's a
fair bit to be saved in electricity.  And of course I get auto-failover
to hot spares on the RAID5 array and hot swap to replace failed disks,
too.

(I've even gone so far as to contemplate running WinXP inside VMware on
Linux on my kids and father-in-law's PCs, just so I can whip the disks
out of those, too, but I have a feeling performance might suffer and
some games won't like it.)

James