Re: [Slightly OT] Bolier woes

  • Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Bolier woes
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:20:12 -0000

Hi Chris,

I have a heat store system. The tank itsef is not at mains pressure,
there is a second coil inside the tank that is at mains pressure but
the tank itself is not. The heat is also taken form the store for the
central heating, this stops the boiler having to fire as often which
should be more efficient. My unit is a boilermate by Gledhill.

The tank is just used to store heat, the mains water comes into the
house through a coil in the heat store tank and then out of the hot
tap. I have had a few technical problems with my one over the last 9
years but otherwise very happy with it. It seems to cope with
continual showers and even one person having a shower and another
running a bath.

Regards
Ian

wrote:

> >> If you want to integrate several heat sources then you need
to be
> > looking at
> >> thermal stores/heat banks - generally cylinders with multiple
coils
> > for
> >> connecting to the boiler, solar panel, back boiler etc. This
keeps
> > the water
> >> in the different heat sources hydraulically isolated,
supplies heat
> > directly
> >> to the heating system from the tank and uses a plate heat
exchanger
> >> instantaneously heat your hot water thereby supplying mains
quality
> > water
> >> direct to your hot taps .
> >
> > I would add is that for a system that can deliver 2 simultaneous
> > showers worth of water you will have to go for a more expensive
type
> > of thermal store, as the simple cheaper ones (such as via
Navitron)
> > cannot deliver.
> > Also you will be restricted by the number of plumbers willing to
> > install this type of system.  I couldn't find one in south
Suffolk :-
> > ( so went for a conventional main pressure system.
> > Note the thermal store will almost certainly be mains pressure,
esp
> > if you have a system boiler. If you want to avoid mains pressure
tank
> > at 80-90C you need to match the heat sources and tanks coils etc
etc
> > v carefully.
> >

> >> If you want very
> >> good quality and need a larger boiler output then I would
suggest
> > the Broag
> >> Remeha Quinta 30 (28kW output). This can be used with 0-10v
input
> > from an
> >> external controls system to control the boiler output which
gives
> > scope for
> >> some HA at a later date. I come across them regularly on
larger
> > homes and
> >> have found both the boiler range and service from Broag
Remeha to
> > be first
> >> rate.
> >>

> > Its nice to hear Broag get a good writeup, I've just had an
Advanta