Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

RE: Re: Must-haves for the livingroom

I had a couple of these (off eBay) and wan't very impressed, ended up
uninstalling them and getting rid.

They are very noisy when operating and are just really a motor with a
mechanical toggle switch (a little like the old circular heating timers
with the little blue and red tabs). You have to use a X10 appliance
module (with their transformer plugged into it) and each time you turn
ON the appliance the motor will start winding the cord. Its tops either
when you issue an X10 OFF (i.e. disconnect power) or when the motor
flicks the adjustable stop point. At both these points the polarity of
the motor is swapped so that the next X10 ON (power applied) will wind
the motor in the opposite direction. This means you have to keep track
of the last direction and you can't issue a discrete open curtains or
close curtains.

Another issue I had was that I was using them to open/close a couple of
roller blinds in a double window, and the STOP point of each would drift
so it was impossible to set an exact stop point so both blinds opened or
closed by the same amount. In fact they used to drift so much that after
a couple of open/close operations the blinds would start to hit the
window sill and ruche up

I plan on (eventually) using some of the simplyautomate roller blind
motors instead...

Marcus